Thursday, April 30, 2015

My Life With Technology


       By Hayden Hilgenhold

        Technology; can’t live with it, can’t live without it.  These days, the world literally runs on it.  So, who does the upkeep on this technology?  Well, in our school, that would be Mr. Wright and his tech team, something I am glad to be a part of.  Granted, some weeks I can go without having to help him one time, because I go in second period and Sean usually gets a lot done during first period.  However, some days, we can be particularly busy.  
I remember, after Christmas break, we were all extremely busy for almost a week.  “My screen broke, I don’t know how,”, “my charger doesn’t work and I need a new one,”, “Why won’t my internet connect?”  The list went on and on.  It really helped me appreciate what people like Mr. Wright do.  Especially considering, up until this year, he would be doing his job, plus what he has the tech team do, all by himself.  His job takes a lot of patience, multi-tasking, and hard work.
Another place where I have had a huge experience with technology is up at IU.  Last year I attended their School of Informatics and Computing (SOIC) summer camp and had the time of my life.  Never had I ever been allowed to try out such expensive technology.  The Google Glass, the Oculus Rift, smart watches, etc.  Also, I got to code my own chat bot.  Granted, said chat bot was extremely buggy, but it was still more than I had ever done.  It was a very fun experience and I’m glad to be going back this year.  

Technology has had a huge influence on my life, and I think it’d be fair to say that, in these times, it’s had an impact on everyone’s life, in one way or another.  We’ve come a long way since I had a dial-up connection at home that couldn’t support a simple flash player.  We’ve come a long way since it took me 30 minutes to buffer a 5 minute YouTube video.  And I’m sure, in about 5 years, I’ll say we’ve come a long way since every high school student was given a laptop to use. Technology advances quickly, if for no other reason than to keep up with the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment